Gamers are used to wandering unexplored new environments with the help of their ever-present AI companion, but In Other Waters flips that on its head by making YOU the AI companion.
Unsurprisingly, this isn’t going to be a run-and-gun shooter, but a far more introspective narrative adventure where the player takes a less active role. As the AI for xenobiologist Ellery Vas, the player will scan the environments to unveil creatures, objects of importance, and other clues to the mysteries of the planet, as well as monitor the adventurer’s environmental systems.
Created by the one-man studio Jump Over the Age, In Other Waters was initially announced for PC but will also now arrive on Nintendo Switch when it releases in 2020.
Here’s the press release:
In Other Waters Invites Players to Explore an Alien Ocean in this Impactful Narrative Adventure
Coming to PC & Nintendo Switch, discover life in an alien ocean as you assist a stranded xenobiologist on a journey of exploration
In Other Waters tells the story of Ellery Vas, a xenobiologist who discovers extraterrestrial life while searching for her missing partner.
When Ellery is called to planet Gliese 677Cc by Minae Nomura, only to arrive at an abandoned base, she finds herself adrift in an ocean of secrets, with little more than a malfunctioning diving suit and a strange AI to guide her. You are this AI.
In Other Waters, the 2019 IndieCade Europe Jury Prix award winner, is sci-fi without soldiers and violence focusing instead on wonder and exploration, fear and vulnerability, and the relationship between a long-dormant AI and its human pilot. The relationship between the AI and the operator unfolds over an impactful narrative uniquely interpreted by the player. The depths of Glies 677Cc contain many secrets. For life to continue, it must change. What will you discover as you track, sample and learn about life inside this alien ocean?
Developed by Gareth Damian Martin, he is the one-man team behind Jump Over The Age. An accomplished games journalist whose work can be found at Eurogamer, Kotaku, US Gamer, and more Gareth is also an artist, game designer, and writer.
- Explore an Alien Ocean – Move freely in each location, discovering new areas off the beaten path. These discoveries will lead to upgrades that in turn unlock new areas in previously visited locations, additional side-quests, and unique conversations with Ellery.
- See the World Through an AI Lens – Navigate a complex, intuitive UI via touch or mouse controls. Interact with the world through observation, scanning, taking samples, studying creatures and affecting their behavior.
- Observe Your Surroundings – While on dives, scan locations for points of interest and request Ellery visit them. Scans reveal clues, creatures, objects, and features to investigate.
- Study Samples to Unlock Secrets – Sample creatures for materials and analyze them to understand how they are useful. Samples allow you to interact with the planet’s ecosystem. Deploy samples to solve puzzles, unlock new areas, scare off predators and feed grazers. Find and install upgrades to dive deeper into the ocean, and find answers.
- Build Trust with Ellery – Fail to keep her oxygen levels healthy, and you’ll damage your relationship. Lose power and your dive will be cut short. Even your conversations can encourage intimacy, despite your answers being limited to yes or no.
Coming to PC and Nintendo Switch in 2020.