August 13th is a Wednesday, but for Switch owners who are horror fans it should be considered an honorary Friday as they finally get their hands on Friday the 13th: The Game (Ultimate Slasher Nintendo Switch Edition).
This version brings with it all previously released downloadable content, a sizable amount of content that includes single player challenges, characters, maps, outfits for the camp counselors, and skins for Jason.
If you’re not familiar with the game, it began as a fan-funded project called Slasher Vol 1: Summer Camp on Kickstarter and BackerKit, raising over $1.2 million between the two platforms before transitioning into a fully licensed Friday the 13th game that hit PC, PS4, and Xbox One in 2017.
The asymmetrical multiplayer game pits one player as Jason Voorhees against seven players in the roles of various Camp Crystal Lake counselors. Jason’s goal is to kill every counselor, while they’re aiming to survive via a variety of means ranging from calling for help, escaping via car or boat, or killing Jason – though that’s obviously the most difficult way of all.
Friday the 13th is coming to the Switch on August 13th
– All DLC and Retail Exclusive Content – In addition to all previously released DLC – including 10 single player challenges, new maps, characters, counselor outfits, Jason skins, additional kills for Jason and the complete Virtual Cabin experience – the physical edition also offers exclusive Bloody Jason Skins and clothing packs.
– Eight-Person Multiplayer and Single Player Modes – On maps spanning multiple iconic locations from the movie franchise, players will match up online as either Jason Voorhees or a Camp Counselor trying to survive the night. Players seeking lower pressure slasher fun can take the fight offline in matches with AI bots.
– Killer Variety – Players can don the mask of their favorite incarnations of Jason Voorhees as depicted in films two through nine. Each Jason is hand-crafted with specific strengths, weaknesses, and exclusive brutal kills. The retail edition offers even more brutal execution options, with the Pick Axe, Pig Splitter and Machete Kill Packs.
– Character Customization – As players level up, they will unlock new playable Counselor and Jason models that can be purchased with Customization Points (CPs). CPs also unlock new kills for Jason, game-changing perks that help Camp Counselors survive the night, emotes for self-expression, and various regalia appropriate for a funeral … or seven. The retail edition includes the Spring Break ’84 Clothing and Halloween Costume Packs for players to try on before the murder party.
– Franchise Authenticity – The game draws expertise from horror icons including Sean S. Cunningham (director/creator of Friday the 13th), Tom Savini (FX legend and effects director of Friday the 13th), composer Harry Manfredini (various compositions from the franchise) and Kane Hodder (Jason Voorhees actor; Part 7, 8 and 9).